Dreamcatcher
Review:
WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS RACIAL AND ABLEIST SLURS
A strong descriptive world combined with the unity and the power of friendship to save the world. Although I thought some parts of the book dragged along, the world building and struggles between each character were interesting. Powered through with gruesome and disgusting plots, the characters had distinct personalities.
I felt sick to my stomach reading how alien life is brought into the human world. A crisis within for the characters, showing how strong-willed they need to be to battle through the sci-fi story. I wasn’t expecting King to write in the genre of sci-fi, but including the thriller he is known for created a unique and gritty story. His style is identifiable throughout.
Four friends, Jonesy, Beaver, Henry and Pete, are now adults living their own separate lives; however, they all take time out of their lives to become five. After not seeing their “special” friend in a while, they all collectively agreed to go visit him for one final time, where they stay in a cabin in the middle of the woods, with a dreamcatcher hanging by.
I thought that dreamcatcher had barely any mention in the book until the near end of the story. The understanding of why this book was named after it started to connect.
Just before the trip officially began, Henry and Pete needed to fetch food when suddenly, a stranger stood in the middle of the road. Jonesy and Beaver are playing games in the cabin, waiting for them until an unexpected visitor is heard knocking on their cabin door. They must all fend for themselves to survive before everything goes bad.
Each character is uniquely likeable. I loved reading about the friendship and how they go to meet their “special” friend known as Duddits, who has Down syndrome. But their connection with one another helps them through this hell. To survive, they must find Duddits in time for one final reunion.
This story felt like an epic action story, with car chases and missions to stop the world from turning over into an alien infestation. King took his time to share intriguing details, although it felt like many parts of the journey were dragged on. I was wondering when I would ever finish the book due to how long it was. However, I don’t think the use of slurs was needed, although I do understand it was a different time and it was more acceptable to use them. Finally, the horror elements at the start were brought into a sci-fi setting. I was wanting a little more creepiness near the end of the book, but it was still a good read overall.
No comments:
Post a Comment